Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Wentworth Letter Lesson


I gave my first Relief Society Lesson today (ever) on The Wentworth Letter. Scary, but a great experience. I told a little history about the letter and the times then I did things a little differently than Lamar's High Priest Group of course and wrote my own "Lowell Letter," telling a little about my life and my beliefs. I used the basic principles and ideas that Joseph Smith did in his letter; for instance, the Church was established in 1830, our family was established in 1987. Also, Joseph Smith details some of the persecution that the early saints go through in Missouri, and I wrote about some of the trials and opposition we have had in our family through out our marriage. I tried to include moments and events in my life that I felt the spirit the strongest or my testimony strengthened. I ended my letter with the "Lowell's Principles of Progress" similar to the Articles of Faith. I want to be able to tell my kids that you are a Lowell and this is what we believe without any doubt. It was a good experience and many of the women said they wanted to write their own letter for their posterity. I suggest that you all read the Wentworth Letter from Lesson 38 and do the same. It is so important in these Latter Days that our children and grandchildren know what we believe and know where they came from. Love you all! Tammy

3 comments:

  1. I somehow missed out on this letter in all of my lessons in church until about a month ago, and it really did amaze me. I wonder if I could just sit down and write out what I believe, maybe I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I had that lesson about 3 weeks ago. We're weird, I guess. Tiffany and I never have the same lesson on Sunday! Cowboys...go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of the group she was teaching, I can attest to the goodness of this lesson--Tammy did a great job! We all need a mission-statment and plan.

    ReplyDelete